Monday, August 13, 2012

Tutorial: Frayed Rosettes and Bow.

Sharing on my blog this tutorial that has graced the pages of Somerset Life last year.
Many of you are already familiar with fabric frayed rosettes, which are a super cute way to embellish almost everything! For those who don't know them, or are a bit intimidated at the idea of making them, here are the simple step- by- step instructions.



Supplies needed:

For the rosettes:
- Fabric (anything, from cotton to acrylic fibers, works well). In this tutorial I used Shantung silk.
- Scissors
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks

For the bow:
- String (any type) or/and raffia
- Ribbons (any type)
- Burlap ribbon (optional)
- Safety pins


1. Rip the fabric into strips. Start twisting the strip in your hand...


2. ... and turn it around to create the very center of the rosette.


3. Secure with a dab of hot glue.


4. Continue twisting and turning around and around, finding a graceful arrangement and fixing the fabric with a dab of hot glue at every turn.




5. Leave about 4 inches to be twisted on the back and fixed with hot glue.


6. Remove any "glue cobwebs" carefully.


Now you may want to wrap a gift prettily, so let's make a bow! Any material you have on hand could work well. I'm going to use twine, raffia and silk ribbon.
1. Without cutting twine from the spool, make a bow and hold it in your hand.


2. Create a second bow and then a third one.



3. Cut from the spool. Proceed adding a second, different material.



4. When you're happy with the size of your bow, cut from the spool, and then with a length of twine, secure the bows altogether in the very middle with a couple of knots.



5. Pin to the rear of the rosettte and add to your gift.




Two different looks using the same rosette.


Monica x

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!Thanks so much..I had yet to make one of these..you have inspired me..Monica..so nice how you do the tutorials..even the photos are dear.It is difficult to get a good pic of a technique:)Yours are all nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica,
    Wonderful tutorial! I have always wanted to try to make a fabric rose, now I will try....
    Oh my goodness, your red roses made out of coffee filters are beautiful in deed.
    Have a sweet day, sending you a big hug, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it look so easy! I LOVE your roses. Thanks for sharing.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these Monica! I have wanted to try making some for a long time, and just haven't. Maybe that will be my weekend play time!!

    Hope you have a fabulous and restful break, sweet friend!

    Big hugs!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty--thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, how pretty. Shabby and elegant, all at the same time!
    I love the addition of the raffia as well - I'll be giving these a whirl for sure.
    Thanks Monica!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!