explore my site

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Easy Handmade Soap: Tutorial.

Hello there!  I'm taking advantage of hot summer days to do some of my favorite indoors (quiet and relaxing, oh yeah!) activities, and soap making is definitely one of them! Moreover, during hot days they dry well and fast, so you can plan to prepare now some extra bars to give as gifts next Christmas. 

There are various professional methods out there, but I like this easy one I developed through the years. It employs natural and inexpensive supplies, which is a bonus! It's an easy method you can try with your children too.
Today I will show you how to make:
  • coffee soap (dark brown)
  • cinnamon soap (light brown)
  • camomile soap (pale yellow)
But you can add whatever type of flavor you want!
You will need soap flakes...

... essential oils (in the recipes I'm sharing today, lemon and spices) and a couple od camomile tea-bags. Coffee, cinnamon powder and a variety of metallic cups in different shapes (optional, you can make soap balls without cups).


Basic ingredients:
  • g. 120 soap flakes (4.2 ounces)
  • g. 90 water (3.5 ounces) 
then add:
  • one full spoon of coffee (for coffee soap)
  • one full teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 6 drops of spices essential oil (for cinnamon soap)
  • 2 camomile tea bags (open them!!LOL) and 6 drops lemon essential oil (for lemon soap).
Carefully weight soap in a heat-resistant container, and add water.

Put in boiling water until melted, stirring occasionally.

Add the other ingredients and stir well.

Fill your cups well, and let dry for a couple of hours, then remove the soap from it with the help of a knife and allow to air dry completely (outside in the shade, mine took about 2 whole days). You can make balls if you prefer.


Have fun!
Monica x.

11 comments:

  1. That is an easy soap recipe! Maybe I'll give it a try soon as we are having hot weather here too so it should dry fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! What a wonderful idea, Monica! Thank you SO Much. These are just darling, and they are perfect for Florida as I use shells all year 'round!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Monica,
    these soaps look lovely and they must smell delicious !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Too hot here today, 34°, I've just prepared a pasta meal to be eaten cold this evening.
    Hugs,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Monica...nice soaps.....good job !!!....it's very hot here.......pfffff......how is Kim doing??

    Happy summer evening..............hugs and love...Ria...how is it with your hand darling??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this sounds like a fun project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! Your blends sound wonderful! I bet that my husband would love the coffee in the morning.

    ~ Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genijalny idea certainly try;)

    greet - became frequented

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew you'd find a craft that wouldn't hurt!
    These look so amazing and they look edible LOL.
    I want to try making some.
    Hope you are having a sweet summer Monica :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELLO SWEET MONICA!
    Sweet, because you are!
    Thank you so much for your wonderful W.E.L.C.O.M.E comment!
    I have been wanting to come to visit you sooner, but the weather has been so lovely that I`ve been busy, making the most of it!
    By the way your craft room is amazing and so your handmade soaps!
    Wow!
    As I said numerous times before, you never fail to amazing me!
    Actually, I want to be like you, one day!Lol
    Speak to you soon,

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Soap never looked so delicious! I want to eat them : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Monica,

    I have enjoyed making hand made soap, but have never used coffee or cinnamon, so will try this next time I do. Lovely idea, thanks.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!